Monday, October 10, 2011

FINALLY!

As I promised about a month ago, I've completed chapter 3 of Zap. I hope you enjoy it :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After our encounter, Austin had been as kind as to allow us into his home to explain our exact predicament.
“Have a seat,” he offered, gesturing towards a red sofa and two small armchairs surrounding a small wooden coffee table. Gavin and I shared the sofa while Austin took one of the armchairs. Gavin and I propped our blades up against the arms of the sofa.
“So…why are those snake men chasing you?” Austin inquired. A seemingly childish question, though reasonable nonetheless.
“I suppose I should formally introduce us before I go into anything further. I’m Wolf Deathbringer, and this is my brother, Gavin Deathbringer. And we’re Guardians of the Spiral,” I stated flatly. From Austin’s expression, I could tell more explaining was required. I sighed. This might take a while.
“For millennia, the Guardians have stood watch over the Spiral, ensuring its overall safety.” Austin cut me off.
“Wait. Overall safety? Where were you during the Malistaire incident?” he asked.
“I was getting to that,” I replied, the annoyance I felt now beginning to be reflected in my voice.
“As I was saying, for millennia, the Guardians have watched over the Spiral, ensuring its overall safety. Our existence kept a secret known by few mortals, fewer living. There are 9 Guardians in total. One of each represents each “School of Magic” your society has adopted. Those are the Guardians of Fire, Ice, Storm, Myth, Life, Death, and Balance. There are 2 more less known elements however, and those are the Umbra and the Ignis. Gavin and I are those very Guardians; he is the Guardian of Ignis and I am that of the Umbra. Each Guardians can manipulate their own element to their will, with more freedom than  a Wizard can. Respectively, I can control shadows, and see into the future. Gavin can control light and see into the past. However, some 300 years ago, a man named Recens Noctis learned of the power of the Guardians, and sought to control it. Ever since then, he has slowly been capturing Guardians, in an attempt to gain control of their power. To this day, only Gavin and I remain free. Although we fear that will soon end. And that brings us to the snake men. They’re Noctis’ underlings, the Nathairix. So, does that sum things up for you?” Austin looked at me in a strange mixture of shock and disbelief. That IS to be expected, however. Gavin and I walk in here and tell him we’re these almighty beings. Meh. Mortals.
“Wait, how come you can see into the present and past? That doesn’t even make sense,” he argued.
“No one said it had to,” Gavin retorted. Austin was quiet. Surprsingly enough, he never mentioned the Guardian of Light having the last name of Deathbringer. We sat in silence for several minutes before Austin spoke up once again.
“So what you’re saying is that if those Nathairix were catch you two, you’re saying this Noctis guy would take over the Spiral?”
“Well, sort of. If Noctis were to obtain this power, he wouldn’t rule the Spiral, he’d destroy it,” I explained. Austin looked at me quizzically.
“Why?”
“He believes the Spiral is full of ‘incompetent idiotic fools’. Ridiculous I know.”
“Believe me, I know some people like that…”*** There was a pause, as if we all were contemplating our next move.
“Now tell me, Austin. Why are you so willing to help us?” I inquired. It is true; we had just waltzed into his world, bringing an army in our wake, and this person is so readily helping us. Why?
“I guess…hmm. I don’t know. OH! Speaking of which, I think you dropped this,” Austin said has he retrieved the amulet from his pocket. My eyes grew wide in shock. He had my amulet! I scrambled over to him, knocking over a side table on the way and swiped it out of his hand in a flash.
“Is something wrong?” he asked.
“Did you touch the crystal?!” I half screamed, half demanded.
“Um…yes?” he replied nervously. Gavin was growing anxious in his seat.
“Crap…” I thought out loud.
“Why? What’s the matter?”
“…It induces sickness. It’s like a protection…” I concluded. He didn’t seem convinced, but it was of no concern to me. I caressed it in my hand before clasping the chain back around my neck.
“Thank you for returning it. You have no idea how much it means to me…”
“No problem...wait am I sick now?” he asked shakily.
“Don’t worry, it isn’t life threatening. More than likely you wont even notice the side effects.”
“Oh…” Austin sighed as he exhaled a breath he had been holding. I walked back towards the couch, but not after reaching down to pick up the fallen table.
“Sorry about that…”
“It’s fine…” he responded. We sat there in awkward silence for several minutes before a knock was heard at the door. Gavin and I froze.
“Go hide upstairs,” Austin breathed, barely above a whisper. Gavin and I nodded and sped up the northern flight of stairs as swiftly as humanly….wizardly…..guardianly…possible, skipping every other step. Once he was assured they were out of sight, Austin opened the door completely, jumping back slightly in surprise. Gavin and I listened through the oak door.
“Um…hello…” Austin choked out. Finding a Nathairix at his door was obviously something he wasn’t used to. Wizards.
“Good day, sssssir. I’m with the WCPD, and we’re looking for thesssssse two boysssss,” it hissed as it held out towards Austin a flier. In the process, it eyed something within Austin’s home, but quickly redirected his attention back to Austin. He accepted it, and grew wide-eyed at it. It was a wanted poster printed on worn parchment, and in bold letters at the top, it stated, WANTED: WOLF AND GAVIN DEATHBRINGER. CHARGED WITH THE CRIMES OF AFFILIATION WITH THE THIEVES GUILD, MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE, ARSON, AND KIDNAPPING. IF FOUND, PLEASE REPORT TO THE WIZARD CITY POLICEDEPARTMENT. REWARD: 150000 CROWNS. WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE! At the bottom, the parchment was stamped with the Ravenwood Seal of Authentication.
He was appalled! “I, um…haven’t. Sorry…” he stuttered. He extended his hand grasping the flier back towards the serpent, but he refused.
“Pleasssse, keep it. If you sssee thosssssse boysss, report them immediately. Do NOT engage. They’re extremely dangeroussssss. Underssstand?” the snake hissed. Austin only nodded.
“Thanks you for your time.”
Austin just stood in the doorway, speechless. After several seconds, he closed the door, and turned around.
“You two better have an explanation for this,” Austin called up the stairs. Gavin and I emerged from the room with puzzled expressions.
“Explanation for what?” Gavin asked. I had the same though.
“This,” he spat as he handed us the parchment. I took it, and I could feel my anxiety escalate in a steady crescendo, evolving from a puddle of concern into a wave of worry. Noctis has involved the police?
“What the hell is this?!” Gavin screamed.
“You tell me,” Austin retorted. I blinked.
“I seriously hope you aren’t insinuating this nonsense is true.”
“Well…” he trailed off.
“Austin! This is insane! We would never do this!” I cried. I crumpled the flier and threw it across the room in rage.
“What am I supposed to do? It’s stamped by the WCPD, and you said it yourself, I can’t trust you.” I bit my lip.
“Austin, please believe me. Noctis obviously set this up to turn this world against us to weed us out. It wouldn’t be the first time. You’ve got to believe us. If you go to the police with this you, us, and the rest of the Spiral is screwed. Do you understand?” I desperately explained. He stopped move, but after a few seconds nodded. I exhaled a breath I was holding during the wait.
“But here’s the thing, the WCPD isn’t stupid, they wouldn’t accept this without proof,” Austin stated. He had a valid point. He’d need bodies for the murder, a burned building, and someone to report a kidnapping. I don’t even want to know about the thieves guild. So how could he present these thing to be true…crap. My heart skipped several beat, and my face paled.
“Wolf?” Gavin asked. He snapped in front of my face, which knocked me out of my stupor.
“Yeah?....Oh, Gavin? I um…need to talk to you…” I said as I motioned him towards me. We wandered over to a corner away from Austin and spoke in a hushed voice.
“What is it?” he ask, concern becoming apparent in his expression.
“We’re guilty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment